Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I love home schooling!!

Sometimes I laugh when people ask me what curriculum I use for home schooling.

Exhibit A (scissor cutting practice...made by me...ha!) :
Many of the activities we do are inspired by the boys' imaginations:
(J said he wanted to make a kite, so he got out paper, scissors, glue, and some yarn and did the entire thing by himself while I watched!)
Of course, T wanted to make one as well.
I got out the Geoboard to practice some letters, numbers, and shapes. J decided to get out our "hundred blocks" to fill all of the 100 squares on the geoboard.
Sometimes, I combine items from 3 different sources to make one activity.
(Alphabet flashcards from My Father's World Kindergarten curriculum, magnets from a book about colors, and magnet board from our Magnetic Letter Pattern manipulative)
Sometimes, we draw pictures and write to our Compassion child!
Here, J is practicing his writing using some wooden letter blocks from Hobby Lobby and red paper inside a clear folder (with a dry erase marker.)

I love that the boys are using their imaginations. I love that they can learn things from each other without me saying a word. I love that we can do school in our pajamas...on any day we want, at any time of day we want to. I love that I can have one idea in mind for an activity, and my kids can change things up to make it a totally different activity where they learn and LOVE learning. I love that I hear my children laughing often when doing school. I love that I can combine different curricula with my own ideas, based on my kids' learning styles, my teaching style, and what we are interested in at the time. I love that we can really do whatever we want to, even if it means taking a day off from normal "school" activities and enjoying just being with each other and spending time in the 80 degree weather!!



Collecting leaves and sticks for our Autumn nature table
(I can't even keep them from doing school when I try! haha, JUST kidding, I would never try to stop them from learning.)

Check out that blue sky!!! WOW!
(J loves taking pictures. Here, he is laying on the street looking up at me.)
E looking for rocks for the nature table

I don't think you could pay me to send my kids to school!

~So blessed!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails